Tuesday, February 20, 2007

murakami writes good endings.
"UFO in Kushiro" has an intersting ending-it is almost like the narrator took a breath and decided that he/she was not going to tell the story anymore. Part of me likes that element a lot, but I think that it is a technique that could really harm a poem-make it too post modern-too self contained, which counters the japanese aestethic of lonliness which is best described as a poem that is written so well without mention of the narrator that one completely forgets about the narrator until they consider the fact that someone needed to record the information. with my first poem I wanted an omniscient narrator that could record perhaps a dream state. Actually I envisioned a beach I had once been to being invaded by aliens. the narrators wife disappears in "Ufo..." after spending most of her time watching the news about such things.
anyway, I wanted there to be a connection to the unknown expressed, and I need to seek better ways of doing so when I take another look at the poem. I wanted it to seem other worldly, or maybe like a world that has skipped a beat. I need to get this poem together still.

No comments: